One way to be involved in the JMC department as a student is through Morris + Mitchell, which is a student-run Ad/PR agency. This agency presents many opportunities for ACU students that most JMC students at other universities do not receive. I decided to talk to the Group Account Director of Morris + Mitchell, Kinsey Lee, to get the inside scoop on what it is like to play such a huge leadership role in this agency.
Reporting for Duty
Kinsey has many duties as group account director, but her main duties are to manage the agency, accounts, and leadership teams. More specific duties during the week include:
- leading and preparing for both the Monday staff meeting and Thursday leadership meeting
- meeting with the director of finance on Wednesdays to discuss billing
- sending emails to keep in contact with the advisor, clients, and leadership team
- texting and emailing account directors to answer any questions or concerns
- attending all client meetings with account directors
Kinsey stays busy with her job at the agency. “Each day is new but it is absolutely never boring,” Kinsey says.
Insight from Kinsey
This year as Kinsey has switched from the role of account director to group account director, she has learned more than just client management. Kinsey has learned a lot about team management, problem solving, and going with your gut.
“I’ve always heard ‘fake it ‘till you make it.’ Although I probably wouldn’t suggest this being your life motto, I do think it is good advice. You have to have confidence in what you are doing and be able to make critical decisions.”
Kinsey has learned so much throughout the past 3 years in the JMC department and advises others to:
- set goals
- have confidence
- stay determined
- surround yourself with people who will aid your growth
- get involved
The main thing employers are looking for when hiring is experience. Kinsey’s biggest piece of advice is “to get involved with student media labs and internships as soon as possible.”